Veggie Christmas Cookery Demo’s
This week we have had some great Veggie Christmas cookery demo’s, in Sale, Manchester and Dimensions in Bangor.
This is a great nut roast recipe from the demo. It’s not a veggie Christmas without nut roast, burned roasties and luke warm sprouts. Make plenty because everyone will want to eat some!
Not Just a Nut Roast
Not Just a Nut Roast
1 Medium Onion, very finely chopped
1 – 1 ½ tbs / 15-20ml Olive Oil
125g Vegetarian Halloumi Cheese, thinly sliced
50g Fresh Wholemeal Breadcrumbs
50g Ground Almonds
150g Cooked Basmati Rice (about 75g uncooked weight), cooled
1 small Red Pepper, cut into small dice (about ½ cm)
2 – 3tbs / 30 – 45 ml Chopped Fresh coriander
1 – 1 ½ tsp / 5 – 7.5ml Ground Fennel Seeds
75ml Hot Light Stock
50g Stoned Black Olives, halved
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 Large Free Range Eggs, beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 180C / 375F / Gas mark 5. Grease a 450g loaf tin. Line the base and ends with a single strip of baking paper, leaving an overhang at each end. This will help to ease the loaf out of the tin when cooked.
2. Gently sauté the onion in 1tbs of the olive oil in a frying pan until soft but not coloured. Remove from the pan and set aside. Using the remaining ½ tbs olive oil if necessary, turn up the heat and use the same pan to fry the halloumi cheese quickly until brown on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool, then cut into very small dice (about ½ cm).
3. Grind the cashew nuts with half the walnuts until powdery and add the breadcrumbs. Put the remaining walnuts into a processor and process until very finely chopped.
4. In a large bowl, mix all the nuts together with the onions and halloumi cheese and all the remaining ingredients except the eggs. Season to taste then add the beaten eggs and beat well. Press the mixture into the prepared loaf tin, with a slightly rounded top surface. Bake in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until firm. Check after 30 minutes, and if it appears to be browning too fast, cover with foil.
5. When cooked, remove from the oven and leave in the tin for 10 – 20 minutes before turning out. Slice with care using a sharp knife, and wiping the knife clean after each cut.
Categories: Vegetarian Cooking & Recipes