We all know that it’s great to eat raw food because it’s so full of vitality, vitamins and enzymes. But unless it’s really warm weather, raw food can seem cold and unappetising.
With Keith’s Ayurvedic warm salads you can get the best of both worlds!
In this salad warmth is added though the heated dressing. It also has ‘heat’ added through taste, the mustard seeds and ginger providing a pungent or hot taste. This really makes the dish more appetising.
Get the ingredients together then join in my ‘cook along’ video below.
Warm Grated Carrot Salad
150 g carrots peeled & grated
100 g fennel bulb finely sliced
2 tbsp raisins
good pinch of rock salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp coconut oil
½ tsp black or brown mustard seed
pinch of asafoetida
1 tsp ground cumin
- For this recipe you need a pan with a well-fitting lid.
- Combine the carrots, fennel, raisins, salt, pepper, parsley and lemon juice in a bowl.
- In the pan, gently melt the coconut oil.
- Carefully add the mustard seeds, keeping your face away from the pan. Cover with the lid, heat and wait for the seeds to pop.
- Remove from the heat and wait for the seeds to stop crackling.
- Still keeping your face away from the pan, carefully add the ginger, asafoetida and ground cumin. Let it sizzle for a few seconds.
- Pour onto the salad.
- Mix well.