This nut roast it utterly delicious. A celebration of nuts and seeds with gluten-free bread crumbs.
The first half can be used as a stuffing for vegetables such as mushrooms or peppers. Simply add linseeds and walnuts to make a wonderful nut roast.
Keith’s Celebration Stuffing
1 onion sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 stick celery sliced
1 small carrot grated
200 g cashews
100 g gluten-free breadcrumbs
1 tsp mixed herbs
100 ml stock
1 tsp yeast extract
1 tbsp tamari
salt & pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 180 C.
Sauté the onion, carrot and celery in the oil until softened.
Meanwhile grind the cashew nuts and mix with the breadcrumbs and the mixed herbs.
Add the stock to the vegetables.
Let it simmer for 5 to 10 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
Stir in the yeast extract and tamari.
Add the hot mixture to the nuts and breadcrumbs to make a moist, but not sloppy mix. Set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes.
This is now ready to be used as stuffing or you can add the following to make into a nut roast…
Keith’s Vegan Nut Roast
2 tbsp linseed ground
100g chestnuts ground
75 ml water
- Grind the linseeds in an electric spice grinder until they are a powder.
- Mix in the cold water and stir. The linseeds go thick and gloppy a bit like an egg. This helps hold the roast together.
- Mash the chestnuts in a large pestle and mortar.
- Mix the linseeds into the chestnuts.
- Stir into the stuffing mix.
- Bake in a lined loaf tin for 40 minutes